General Information

Frequently asked questions in regard to general information about the NHDRA.

Where can I get general information about the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration?

Visit the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration Contact Us web page for information about business hours, telephone numbers, e-mail address, mailing address, and map & driving directions

There seems to be a problem with your telephone system. Is there an easier way to get through?

We are sorry if you have had trouble with our telephone system. If you know the division or bureau you are trying to reach, dial one of following numbers:

Where may I get forms?

You may obtain forms from the Forms Section of our website, by e-mailing, by calling the Forms Line at (603) 230-5001, or by visiting the Department.

How may I obtain Administrative Rules & Statutes?

They may be obtained by visiting the NH State Library 20 Park Street, Concord, NH, any NH State Tax Reporter research services, or from our web site under the Laws & Rules page.

How do I get to the Department?

Map and driving directions.

Does New Hampshire have a sales tax?

No, there is no general sales tax on goods purchased in New Hampshire.

How do I get a sales and use tax exemption certificate?

The Department has no authority to issue a certificate. However, you may go to the Requests for Resale & Exempt Certificates page under “Taxpayer Assistance” on our website, print a copy of that webpage and present it to any entity that requires confirmation that New Hampshire does not issue Certificates for Resale or Tax Exemptions. Call Taxpayer Services Division at (603) 230-5920 for additional assistance.

How do I register my new business?

Although you don't have to register your new business with this Department, you must obtain the appropriate state tax forms to file. There are also licenses that must be obtained if you are a meals, rooms or motor vehicle rental operator, communications services provider, or Tobacco manufacturer, wholesaler or subjobber.

For more information on Registration with the Secretary of State's Office or to verify the accuracy of any information on this page, it is recommended that any interested entity or individual inquire directly to the Secretary of State's Office to ascertain current fees and information pertinent to their situation: 

     NH Secretary of State Corporate Division 
     25 Capital Street, 3rd Floor 
     Concord, NH 03301-6312 
     (603) 271-3246 

You may also select NH QuickStart, which is an online platform for business registration with the Corporation Division of the Secretary of State's Office. 

Why was my check returned?

All checks information must be completed and submitted with the proper payment form:

  • Paid to the Order section should be completed and payable to State of NH.
  • Legal line and payment box both filled in.
  • Legal line must match the amount entered in the payment box.
  • A signature is required.

Can I file via fax?

No, we do not accept returns via fax, and we do not fax tax forms.