New Hampshire Revenue Administration Department Logo
Website Name - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

Frequently Asked Questions - General

Need Help?

Call (603) 230-5920
M-F 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

Where can I get general information about the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration?

Visit the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration Contact Us web page for information about business hours, telephone numbers, e-mail address, mailing address, and map & driving directions

There seems to be a problem with your telephone system. Is there an easier way to get through?

We are sorry if you have had trouble with our telephone system. If you know the division or bureau you are trying to reach, dial one of following numbers:

  • Administration (603) 230-5005
  • Audit (603) 230-5030
  • Discovery Bureau (603) 230-5086
  • Low & Moderate Income Homeowners Tax Relief (603) 230-5920 prompt 2 & prompt 2
  • Municipal Services (603) 230-5090
  • Property Appraisal (603) 230-5950

Where may I get forms?

You may obtain forms from the Forms Section of our website, by e-mailing, by calling the Forms Line at (603) 230-5001, or by visiting the Department.

How may I obtain Administrative Rules & Statutes?

They may be obtained by visiting the NH State Library 20 Park Street, Concord, NH, any NH State Tax Reporter research services, or from our Web site.

How do I get to the Department?

Map and driving directions.

Does New Hampshire have a sales tax?

No, there is no general sales tax on goods purchased in New Hampshire.

How do I get a sales and use tax exemption certificate?

The Department has no authority to issue a certificate. However, you may go to the Requests for Resale & Exempt Certificates page under “Taxpayer Assistance” on our website, print a copy of that webpage and present it to any entity that requires confirmation that New Hampshire does not issue Certificates for Resale or Tax Exemptions. Call the Audit Division at (603) 230-5030 for additional assistance.

How do I register my new business?

Although you don't have to register your new business with this Department, you must obtain the appropriate state tax forms to file. There are also licenses that must be obtained if you are a meals, rooms or motor vehicle rental operator, communications services provider, or Tobacco manufacturer, wholesaler or subjobber.

In addition new businesses must register by writing to the NH Secretary of State's Office, Corporate Division, State House, Room 204, 107 N. Main Street, Concord, NH 03301 or by calling (603) 271-3246.

To access information about other State agencies you may need to contact, please visit the business section of the Secretary of State's Web site. There you will find the forms and laws.

Why was my check returned?

All checks must be accompanied by the proper remittance form and cannot be processed without it.

Why were my forms returned to me with a letter called "an incomplete notice"?

Documents are returned or incomplete notices are sent for common filing errors:

  • Check unsigned
  • Form number sequence not followed for business return
  • Forms not filled out - "see attached" is not acceptable
  • Incorrect Social Security Number or Federal Employer Identification Number
  • Nontaxable income not coded on Line 4 on Interest & Dividends tax return
  • Proprietorship returns should not be filed jointly when only one spouse has a business
  • Return filed without payment
  • Return unsigned
  • Written and numeric amounts on check not the same

Can I file via fax?

No, we do not accept returns via fax, and we do not fax tax forms.

New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration
Governor Hugh Gallen State Office Park
109 Pleasant Street (Medical & Surgical Building), Concord NH
(603) 230-5000  |  
TDD Access Relay NH: 1-800-735-2964  |  
fax: (603) 230-5945
Contact the Webmaster