To skip navigationdra
State of Nh Revenue Dept
photo of Revenue building
IndividualsBusinessLocal Government


Frequently Asked Questions > Single Member Limited Liability Companies

What is an SMLLC?
A Single Member Limited Liability Company is a limited liability company with only one member. A limited liability company is an organization no member of which is personally liable for the debts of the enterprise. An SMLLC can be a proprietorship, partnership, or corporation. For federal tax purposes, the true owner is responsible for reporting the activity of the SMLLC. For NH business tax purposes, the SMLLC must file its own return.

Can I file a NH Proprietorship Business Profits Tax return and report the total of the Profit or Loss from my business (federal Schedule C), and the Income or Loss from rental real estate (federal Schedule E), for which I formed an SMLLC?
No, two NH proprietorship returns are required, one for the business (federal schedule C), and one for the rental real estate under the name of the LLC, provided each meets the filing requirements.

Do I have to notify the Department when I form an SMLLC?
Only if the SMLLC meets the filing requirements and a return is required, then you must apply for a Department Identification Number (DIN) under which to file.

How do I apply for a Department Identification Number?
Complete form DP-200, application for Department Identification Number and submit it to the department.

How long does it take to get a Department Identification Number?
It takes approximately 2 weeks.

Where can I get form DP-200?
You can obtain forms from the Tax Forms page of this Web site, by visiting the Department or any state depository library, or requesting them from the forms line (603)-230-5001.

If my return is due and I don't have the DIN, should I use an SSN or FEIN?
No, if you have not received the DIN, write "applied for" in the DIN box on the Form BT-SUMMARY. Our system does not automatically assign the DIN to your return, so when you receive your DIN, please notify us so we can update your return.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.



© NH Department of Revenue Administration ~ 109 Pleasant Street ~ Concord, New Hampshire 03301
Phone: 603-230-5000 ~ Fax: 603-230-5945 ~ TDD Access Relay NH: 1-800-735-2964
Municipal Services ~ Phone: 603-230-5090 ~ Fax: 603-230-5947
Property Appraisal ~ Phone: 603-230-5950 ~ Fax: 603-230-5943
Collections ~ Phone: 603-230-5900 ~ Fax: 603-230-5946
Hearings Bureau ~ Phone 603-230-5002 ~ Fax 603-230-5948
Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © State of New Hampshire, 2007