To skip navigationdra
State of Nh Revenue Dept
photo of Revenue building
IndividualsBusinessLocal Government


Frequently Asked Questions > Where can I get general information about the NH Department of Revenue Administration?

What are the hours of the NH Department of Revenue Administration?
Business hours are 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday.

There seems to be a problem with your telephone system. Is there an easier way to get through?
We are sorry if you have had trouble with our telephone system. If you know the division or bureau you are trying to reach, dial one of following numbers:

Administration 603-230-5005
Audit 603-230-5030
Discovery Bureau 603-230-5086
Low & Moderate Income Homeowners Tax Relief 603-230-5920 prompt 2 & prompt 2
Municipal Services 603-230-5090
Property Appraisal 603-230-5950

Where may I get forms?
You may obtain forms by visiting the Department or any state depository library, where forms may be copied for a fee, requesting them from the forms line (603) 230-5001, or from the Forms Section of our Web site.

How may I obtain Administrative Rules & Statutes?
They may be obtained by visiting the NH State Library 20 Park Street, Concord, NH, any NH State Tax Reporter research services, or from our Web site.

How do I get to the Department?
Map and driving directions.Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

Does New Hampshire have a sales tax?
No, there is no general sales tax on goods purchased in New Hampshire.

How do I get a sales and use tax exemption certificate?
The Department has no authority to issue a certificate. However, you may download a copy of a letter of explanation from our web site at or call the Audit Division at (603) 230-5030 for additional assistance.

How do I register my new business?
Although you don't have to register your new business with this Department, you must obtain the appropriate state tax forms to file. There are also licenses that must be obtained if you are a meals, rooms or motor vehicle rental operator, communications services provider, or Tobacco manufacturer, wholesaler or subjobber.

In addition new businesses must register by writing to the NH Secretary of State's Office, Corporate Division, State House, Room 204, 107 N. Main Street, Concord, NH 03301 or by calling (603) 271-3246.

To access information about other State agencies you may need to contact, please visit the business section of the Secretary of State's Web site. There you will find the forms and laws.

Why was my check returned?
All checks must be accompanied by the proper remittance form and cannot be processed without it.

Why were my forms returned to me with a letter called "an incomplete notice"?
Documents are returned or incomplete notices are sent for common filing errors:

1. Return unsigned
2. Check unsigned
3. Written and numeric amounts on check not the same
4. Nontaxable income not coded on Line 4 on Interest & Dividends tax return
5. Form number sequence not followed for business return
6. Forms not filled out - "see attached" is not acceptable
7. Return filed without payment
8. Incorrect Social Security Number or Federal Employer Identification Number
9. Proprietorship returns should not be filed jointly when only one spouse has a business

Can I file via fax?
No, we do not accept returns via fax, and we do not fax tax forms.


Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.



© NH Department of Revenue Administration ~ 109 Pleasant Street ~ Concord, New Hampshire 03301
Phone: 603-230-5000 ~ Fax: 603-230-5945 ~ TDD Access Relay NH: 1-800-735-2964
Municipal Services ~ Phone: 603-230-5090 ~ Fax: 603-230-5947
Property Appraisal ~ Phone: 603-230-5950 ~ Fax: 603-230-5943
Collections ~ Phone: 603-230-5900 ~ Fax: 603-230-5946
Hearings Bureau ~ Phone 603-230-5002 ~ Fax 603-230-5948
Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © State of New Hampshire, 2007